June 4th, 2019
Ah, the sweet smells of summer: barbecue, sunscreen, and some free time for the home projects that have been put off all year. Many people look to Google Images for ideas, useful information and help tackling projects around the house. You can quickly scan lots of images to find a style or product you like, then dive deeper on the web page to get started quickly.
Lens in Google Images even lets you search inside of an image, so if you see something you like, you can select it and Google will show you similar images so you can keep exploring.
We looked at some of the biggest search trends on Google over the past year to see what people are working on (or even just dreaming about) this summer.
If your ambitions are of the “down to the studs” variety, reference the list of most top home style searches for some inspiration. This list has something for everyone, whether your dream home has Mediterranean vibes or takes you back to a different decade.
Who hasn’t wanted to live like a celebrity at some point? Trending celebrity homes this past year are a grab bag of actors, musicians and reality stars, many of whom had homes on the market recently.
The percentages you’ll see for these celebs (and the trends that come later) indicate year-over-year increase in search interest.
- kristin cavallari new house, +5,000%
- beyonce and jay z house 2018, +5,000%
- zsa zsa gabor house, +450%
- julia roberts house, +250%
- dan bilzerian house, +200%
Fans of seashells and coral hues (and maybe a certain “golden” TV show) will be excited to learn that coastal inspired living rooms are on the rise.
- 1950s living room, +5,000%
- Coastal living room, +140%
- 1970s living room, +110%
- Farmhouse living room ideas, +90%
- Victorian living room, +80%
Bringing the outside in (and the inside, out!): The biggest trend in kitchens over the past year isn’t even in the house.
- outdoor kitchen cabinets, +5,000%
- floating shelves in kitchen, +4,150%
- bohemian kitchen, +300%
- light grey kitchen cabinets, +140%
- kitchen wallpaper, +130%
For the green thumbs (or those looking to acquire one), charming garden designs are on the rise, while more practically-minded gardeners are looking to grow their own food or protect it from hungry critters.
- Enchanted garden, +5,000%
- DIY raised garden bed, +5,000%
- Garden pathways, +5,000%
- Vegetable garden, +300%
- Garden tub, +200%
Outdoor living spaces are popular with DIY-ers, along with projects ranging from simple to more involved.
- DIY bathroom shelves, +5,000%
- DIY outdoor kitchen, +550%
- DIY outdoor furniture, +300%
- DIY murphy bed, +250%
- DIY picture frames, +190%
Once again we see evidence that grey is seriously on-trend, with taupe hues following close behind.
- Blueprint paint color, +5,000%
- Nightwatch paint color, +2,750%
- Liquid Kitty paint color, +1,850%
- Metropolitan paint color, +1,000%
- On the rocks paint color, +400%
Go bold: liven up your living space with an orange statement sofa and a gold coffee table.