September 28th, 2017
Your Google Assistant is now available on Android TV, starting with NVIDIA SHIELD TV today and Sony Bravia TVs in the coming months.
With your Assistant on Android TV, you can jump right into your favorite show, find the latest blockbuster, check the score of the big game, dim the lights and more— all with just your voice. To get started, accept the Google Assistant system update on your SHIELD and press your remote’s mic button after the device restarts. From there, you’re ready to sit back and relax with the help of your Assistant.
Here are some ways your Assistant can help you on the big screen:
- “Play Game of Thrones”— your Assistant can play a wide variety of content, from movies and TV shows to YouTube clips and music. With HBO NOW, Netflix and YouTube, you can instantly watch something by asking for it by name or, if you aren’t sure what to watch, try “show me movies about climbing Mount Everest.” You can also ask your Assistant to “play some music” or listen to a specific song on YouTube Music, Google Play Music, Spotify or Pandora.
- “Play business news”— catch up on what’s going on in the news, from business to tech to entertainment. And once you’re caught up, prepare for your own day by asking “what’s on my agenda for today?”
- “Talk to Fitstar”— apps for the Google Assistant are also now available on Android TV, so you can talk to Fitstar for a quick home workout, Tender for a cocktail recommendation, Wall Street Journal for a market update and more.
- “Order more popcorn”— stock up on binge-watching snacks right from the comfort of your couch. With Google Express, you can shop and reorder from Walgreens, Walmart and many other stores.
- “Turn off”— it’s as simple as that. With your Assistant on Android TV you can turn up the volume, pause, control your smart home devices and more, just with your voice.
Also, to celebrate the arrival of the Google Assistant on Android TV, we're offering a free three month YouTube Red trial on SHIELD, so you can watch ad-free videos and listen to uninterrupted music with your Assistant (try saying “play 4K videos on YouTube”).
Starting today, SHIELD users in the U.S. can upgrade their TV experience with the Google Assistant. So dim the lights, order some popcorn and dive into your favorite shows.