December 24th, 2009
As 2009 comes to a close, we’d like to extend holiday greetings and a warm debt of gratitude to our partners, customers and community members for helping to make 2009 a year of unparalleled growth and success. This has been a year of many milestones for Magento, including rapid growth and adoption, with over 160,000 community members, over 1.4 million downloads, over 1,600 Magento Connect extensions as well as the release of the Magento Enterprise Edition subscription.
Magento has been growing at a phenomenal pace. We started Magento over two years ago in an effort to build a highly innovative, powerful and flexible eCommerce platform that retailers could use and extend to fit their needs and fulfill their visions. Magento has accomplished that and so much more. In 2009, we’ve seen our ecosystem thrive and continue to expand, whether its through the number of merchants choosing Magento—over 30,000 of them, community interaction on the site, contributions of code or Magento Connect extensions, the live events and conferences we’ve been a part of, and through strategic corporate partnerships and other facets of engagement.
Key highlights in 2009 for Magento included:
- Over 1.4 Million downloads, 30,000+ merchants and over $25 Billion in transactions processed through the Magento platform. Top brands running Magento include Vizio, Lenovo, 3M, Nespresso, The North Face, Homedics, Myla, Stussy, Samsung and many more…
- The Magento Enterprise Edition subscription was released in April, making available the first Enterprise Open Source eCommerce Platform alternative to Enterprise Commercial offerings
- Forrester Research named Magento as an ‘Emerging Player To Watch’ in the eCommerce space
- Magento Connect, Magento’s marketplace for third party extensions and enhancements reaches over 1,500 contributed extensions
- Magento saw continued adoption by some of the world’s largest brands (Magento Spotting: Apparel and Accessories Roundup)
- The new Magento Solution Partner program was announced targeting larger, established eCommerce specialized partners, capable of expanding awareness and adoption of Magento around the world. Over 40 partners were responsible for delivering 100+ Magento Enterprise Edition based projects in the first few months since lauching the Enterprise Edition subscription
- Magento celebrated the 1st anniversary of the production Magento release
- Magento Community Advisory board established to manage community matters and roadmap for Magento Community Edition
- Magento announced a formal code contribution process and the Magento Contributor Agreement
- Magento won an Inforworld Bossie Award for the second consecutive year and running
- Global Events included the Internet Retailer Conference, Shop.org Summit, Mage Camp in the United Kingdom, Meet Magento events in Germany, Bargento events in France, Magento Meetups in the US and Zendcon the PHP Conference
- Magento partnered with Rackspace to offer enterprise grade eCommerce hosting
- Official Magento User Guide and first White Paper released along with several other Magento books in multiple languages – Your Picks: Magento Book Roundup
- Key hires focused on the areas of Sales, Product Development, Marketing, Channel Management and Engineering
Happy holidays from the Magento Team! We look forward to 2010.