May 13th, 2020
Effective immediately and through
15 May July 15, 2020:
- The W3C Team travel policy prescribes that all international travel is suspended and staff are urged to consider the importance of any domestic travel before agreeing to domestic travel other than commuting. Remote teleconferencing is recommended in place of travel.
- W3C Management also recommends that all W3C groups not hold physical face-to-face meetings and should instead plan virtual equivalents.
- W3M plans on updating the guidance as conditions continue to evolve.
To that effect the W3C Team has published a first version of: Continuity of Operations under Travel Restrictions.
With travel restrictions, the world relies even more on online interaction and the World Wide Web is a crucial part of the human society.
Our primary concern is individual and community health. Slowing the spread of the COVID-19 virus improves the chances that health systems will have the capacity to continue to treat usual health issues plus those affected.
- Individual and community health: take care of yourselves and those around you. Even if an individual is not personally at-risk, COVID-19 may be contagious before symptoms appear.
- Unpredictability of border measures and quarantines: international travelers risk getting caught far from home or facing quarantine.
- Unpredictability of meeting plans: many conferences are being canceled, and many localities are canceling large gatherings.