July 21st, 2020
WordPress 5.5 Beta 3 is now available!
This software is still in development,so it’s not recommended to run this version on a production site. Consider setting up a test site to play with the new version.
You can test WordPress 5.5 Beta 3 in two ways:
- Try the WordPress Beta Tester plugin (choose the “bleeding edge nightlies” option)
- Or download the beta here (zip).
WordPress 5.5 is slated for release on August 11th, 2020, and we need your help to get there!
Thank you to all of the contributors who tested the beta 2 development release and gave feedback. Testing for bugs is a critical part of polishing every release and a great way to contribute to WordPress.
- Plugin and theme versions are now shared in the emails when automatically updated (see #50350).
- REST API routes without a
permission_callbacknow trigger a
_doing_it_wrong()warning (see #50075).
- Over 23 Gutenberg changes and updates (see #24068 and #50712).
- A bug with the new import and export database Dashicons has been fixed (see #49913).
WordPress 5.5 has lots of refinements to polish the developer experience. To keep up, subscribe to the Make WordPress Core blog and pay special attention to the developers’ notes for updates on those and other changes that could affect your products.
How to Help
Do you speak a language other than English? Help translate WordPress into more than 100 languages!
If you think you’ve found a bug, you can post to the Alpha/Beta area in the support forums. We’d love to hear from you!